HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What am I doing wrong--Green Swamp--
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 12:41 PM
JGeBaide
Spike

Hunting any WMA is hard especially if you don’t live close enough to spend a lot of off season time there. I hunt mostly in my club and on private property but I do a couple of WMA hunts a year and I am pretty successful even in areas I have never hunted. My strategy is this: Homework, homework, homework.

The first thing to do is find out who the FWC Biologist is for that area, come up with a list of questions and call them. They are a wealth of knowledge on game concentration, what they are eating and when, where they have been being taken, normal rut times and a million other things you want to know. I have never talked to a Biologist who wasn’t friendly and helpful.

Get a good Topo map and do a terrain study along with google earth. You can pick out spots that need further investigation and eliminate other areas so they don’t waist your time. Look for natural funnels that will push animals into a smaller area and edges between different vegetation types.

Preseason scouting. You cant do enough. A good game camera is worth its weight in gold. All those tracks you talked about are nice but they don’t do you a bit of good if the animal is never there in the daylight. With a game camera you can hunt what you know not what you think, there can be big differences between the two.

Talk to the other hunters and listen to the ones who are successful.

You talked a lot about sent control and that is great but the most important part of any set up is wind direction.