HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Advice on bullets, first time MZ hunting
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 AM
oldsmellhound
Nontypical Buck

It's possible to work up a short range load in 3-4 hours, though not advisable.

The first year I bought a muzzy, it was right before the season started. I had 1 day to sight in/practice with the rifle. I had bought a box of T7 pellets and a box of XTP's. My groups that day were 2-3" at 50 yards. I shot a couple groups at 100 yards and was getting 6" groups. I had the scope boresighted, and it was actually close to being sighted in - I just had to do some minor adjustments.

I realized that I better not try shooting too far with the groups I was getting (though 6" groups will still cleanly take a deer on a broadside shot).

And I took a deer the 1st day of the season - the range wasn't too far, and the bullet hit within a few inches of where I was aiming.

I'm not suggesting all this as a good idea, I'm just saying that if you get to shoot a few hours you should know what your limitations are, and if you stick to that you should be fine.

Now if the first load or two you try is shooting shotgun patterns, then you may be out of luck.... no time to develop a new load.