HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Chew Proof retrieval toy?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 05:36 PM
skiftcky
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Thanks, I'll have to pick up one of those Dokken trainers. I do get in the water with them quite often, weather providing. I'm in southern Michigan. I just found out two friends from work are big into hunting waterfowl, so maybe they could help. Three years old a bit late to teach a lab? He fetches on land and water very well, but I don't know if he is gun shy yet.
Contrary to popular belief it is not impossible to teach an old dog new tricks. I just house broke a 2 year old basset hound that I was fostering in about a months time. Rules for duck dog training:
1. The bumper (training dummy) is NOT a chew toy. It is for working.
2. Overly reward good behavior do not react to unwanted behavior; Negative reinforcement is still giving your dog attention.
3. 90% of dogs will be gun shy if you just pick up a 12guage and start blasting. Start by clapping your hands when the dog reacts give a treat every week step it up Slam books together, buy a kids cap gun (its cheaper than a 22 starter pistol) pop a cap or two then throw the bumper Also there is a CD called sounds of my master ( I think) that you can play in the house. At first it starts out with classical music with inaudible gunshot sounds over a 2 hour period they slowly switch up and the gunshots will be loud.
4. Never let your dog break on the shot. Teach it to stay put until the shooting is done then retrieve when you give the command. A lot of dogs end up with a BB or two in them when they break like that.
5. Try to work your dog for about an hour every day. Do a few blind retrieves with them so they learn to use their nose and find birds that may land in brush, weeds, or on land. Still give them a break for a day or two to rebuild muscle and stamina. Your dog is literally willing to work itself to death for your attention.
There is so much more but these are the basics. There are some good videos on youtube that will help with force break retrieving, holding the bird until you command release, multiple retrieves, working alongside other dogs. If you start this spring, your pup will be ready by next season. After the 1st year, just work your dog about a month prior to season and it should do fine.