HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My first elk. Dec. 27.
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 04:14 PM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

Yes, a freezer full of elk is a great thing. However well this ended, THIS TIME, the result doesn't exactly justify the means.

Maybe it's different in Canada, but down here it's not generally considered very sporting or ethical to hit an animal and shift to another target before the first is down. So, from my perspective, while maybe a little bit harsh, the responses you're getting are generally what I'd expect. That's just the way it is here.

And while it comes up pretty frequently and while there ARE guys who are proficient enough to do it well enough to be predictable, long-range marksmanship skill doesn't come in a box. The one Huskemaw scope I've seen mounted on a rifle and used didn't make its owner any better at long range shooting than he was before he bought it. Either it had a mismarked turret cap or he was shooting ammo different than what it was calibrated for or under conditions significantly different than what it had been built for. Frankly, having tried it, I was quite happy returning to my Mark 4 and my dope book.

Enjoy those elk steaks and burgers. Be thankful you didn't land yourself a long trailing job.