HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shed Antler Traps
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 06:21 PM
NebBuckHunter
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fastetti
I watched the video on the website and saw how the buck lost an antler. If that buck wasn't ready to shed and started he would have been flipped over possibly breaking a leg or worse. While his head may not get stuck for more than a second, there are other distinct possibilities. No matter the durability of the rubber, any buck that is started when its head is in there is going to be thrown off their feet.

The problem I see is the deer was able to fit his entire rack inside the cage of it. Now, if the openings were just wide enough to fit a deer's head in (Maybe 8") so that the deers antlers were knocked off trying to get the food rather than after fitting its antlers into the "cage" area then I think it would be better. If a deer's antlers are loose, then they will come off trying to eat and poking its head in, not by being stuck on something on the way out.

Just my opinion on this. I'm more of a walk and find them kind of guy. I find it much more fun that way. If they ever have a trap that is 100% safe (hopefully like I mentioned here) then I might give it a try. I just know I couldn't forgive myself if I have a 180" buck come it, somehow get his antlers in and then either get stuck getting out or fall over on his back and struggle and break a leg or neck getting out. I've seen die from some scenarios, I just wouldn't want one of those to be my fault.
How is a deer going to get flipped over by a piece of rubber band?!?!?!? these deer are our walking around in the woods. Are you worried they are going to get body slammed by some branches that touch their antlers too? I'm just curious how these deer (Which are apparently made of glass) have survived barbed wire fences. Those are death sentences to any deer getting near them.

cmon!

Last edited by NebBuckHunter; 12-30-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: misspelling