HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Relaoding kit
Thread: Relaoding kit
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 06:22 AM
emtrescue6
Typical Buck

I agree with what many others here have pointed out but I'd also like to point out, you won't likely see any real cost savings in reloading...but accuracy and performance will increase dramatically if you do it right.

- Make sure you buy a couple good reloading manuals and read them before buying any gear...Nosler, Hornady, Speer, Lee, Lyman, RCBS...they all produce really good manuals.
- Start out with easier calibers to reload...like the 308 (Belted Mags, Short Mags, and bottle neck cases like the 30-30 can be challenging for the beginner.
- Buy the best gear you can afford (buy once, cry once)...especially when buying your press, scale, powder thrower and dies...many companies make good equipment...mine is a mix match of the best of each...I prefer a single stage H press (I have used the same CH Magnum single stage press for over 20 years...my grandfather used it for 20 before I got it), Hard to beat Lyman scales and powder throwers...avoid electronic scales in my opinion. Redding, RCBS, Hornady...they all make great dies.
- Patience is the key...take your time, develop a routine and stick with it...by doing it the same way everytime you reduce the chance of error...it will only take a single round that doesn't get powder or gets double charged to ruin your day and your firearm and it happens all the time with new re-loaders.
- Set your bench up someone where where you have no distractions and have plenty of room to work and storage for all the "stuff" out of your way off your bench.
- Find someone local who already reloads and use them as a mentor ...I love reloading and have been doing so since I was about 10 with my grandfather and while I have never saved a dime over just buying ammo (equipment and components are spendy) I can't imagine shooting factory ammo...haven't done so in decades except for my rimfire stuff.