HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My boys got spoiled! Montana elk hunt
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Huntingrulz
Spike

Default My boys got spoiled! Montana elk hunt

We were very blessed this year elk hunting. We live and typically hunt in Colorado but headed up to Montana this year to hunt with my father, family and friends. This was also the very first time I have taken my two boys hunting. They are 11 and 9 years old and were so excited to go on their first trip.

On our first day out we cut into a small herd of elk on the move below us. We took the high ground and I told my boys they needed to keep up as we had to make up some serious ground to get in front of the elk. Good thing they just finished tackle football as they had no issues.

My boys and I cut down the hill due to the wind and skirted right around and connected with the elk with wind in our favor at 25 yards. Every time I had this bull in my sights he had cows behind him. I decided to hold position since we had the wind and the elk had no idea we were there. Shooting lanes were very limited. Holding out payed off as the elk shifted direction and slowly walked right above us. With my boys right next to me, I took a nice little 5X5 bull at 10 yards! I had to stand right away after the shot to keep the rest of the herd from coming our way. The bull turned right to us and stumbled toward us. I shot again and dropped him to keep us safe. The boys eyes were the size of saucers haha. My hunting party ended up with 3 bulls and a cow that day. A lot of fun and work and its great to have elk in the freezer!