HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are you guys using for practice targets??
Old 12-20-2013, 05:47 AM
Valentine
Nontypical Buck

Default Why is the high cost ruining you, Bunky

Kidding? But maybe not really.

What's that a high speed bow you use, that busts normal archery targets? I think they're made for lower cost, lower speed bows.

It must be horrible to ruin a $20 arrow. Well at least a $10 one.
Two of them get to be $20 fast.

Well maybe a cheapie like me can make a suggestion. Never used a bow that cost over $500, and still have aluminum arrows that cost some $5 apiece.

Been making homemade targets for some 20 years. I'd go to either Home Depot or Lowe's, both building supply stores, and get a 4' x 8' foam insulation sheet, cut one into 8 - 2' pieces ( I do that outside the store before taking it in a small vehicle)and tape them with masking tape to your old target. Find out how many they penetrate. Of course, I go on the side of conservative thought. Using $20 arrows, er $10 arrows, would make me nervous.

And considering that you are a fancy shooter, Home Depot has the foam in pink. Lowe's in blue. You might be interested in color coordinating the targets.

There's a way out of your dilemma. But I don't think it is allowed for some people to make and use $10 or $15 targets. Your bow might go into rebellion.

Good luck. From a cheapie. To think I make my targets less than the cost of one of your arrows.

Last edited by Valentine; 12-20-2013 at 05:50 AM.