HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Meat vs. Horns (Revisited)
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Boonechaser
Fork Horn

I always shoot a nice doe during archery and hold out for a mature 4.5 or older buck. Doing so I have always had the meat I need in the freezer but have many times eaten buck tag soup. Doesn't bother me and will not shoot any buck just to keep from wasting money on a tag.
Actually was out last night and our muzzleloader season ends this Sunday. I had a nice 3-4 year old 10 point that would probably score 155-160 about 30yds from me and I let him walk. This deer will really be something next year and am hoping to meet him again.
I have been fortunate enough to have some great private land to hunt my whole life and can not see shooting a yearling or a young buck just for the sake of loosing money. We actually have a sprtsman bundle now that comes with a buck and two doe tags for a fair price. What I like is they changed the rules this year to allow you the option to shoot three doe with it. That way for people that don't want to loose money, if given the option can pass on a small buck and take a doe.