HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Here's the story on that buck in the tree. With a little something I forgot about.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:05 PM
pluckit
Nontypical Buck

Default Here's the story on that buck in the tree. With a little something I forgot about.

Weapon: Knight Vision (Old Model)
Powder: 80 grains Blackhorn 209
Bullet: .44 cal. 240 grain Hornady XTP
Sabot: Green MMP .50/.44 cal. Primer: Remington STS 209 Shotgun Primer with rubber O-ring installed in primer pocket
Distance: About 70 yards
Size: 8 pointer, 100 pounds field dressed

I was hunting on opening firearms day today with a good friend of mine. He had yet to take a deer this year and has spent a lot of effort getting his .54 cal. flint lock to shoot. So In an effort to help him harvest a deer I let him take what I thought to be the best spot on the property we were hunting. At this spot you sit with your back to a small stream. I was About 200 yards away on a ridge overlooking a small ravine. About an hour before dark I got restless and got up from the log I was sitting on only to see a doe 40 yards away that seemed like she had been standing there watching me. Needless to say see took off so I thought I might try to spook her down to my friend. Before I got 50 yards I heard my friend shoot so I turned around and headed back to the ridge to follow the easiest route to get to where he was sitting so I could find out if he had gotten anything. No sooner than I get to the ridge overlooking the ravine, only about 30 yards from where I was sitting earlier, do I see this eight pointer run up and stop down in the ravine. When he stops he turns to look back in the direction he came from, so I raise the Vision, take aim through the scope, and squeeze the trigger. The deer turns back around and runs 20 yards and piles up behind a big pile of sticks and branches. I couldn't see him but I was sure I nailed him. My friend walks up 3 minutes later and I told him I got him. I just had a strong feeling it was the same deer he was shooting at a few minutes earlier. It was. He said he had been grunting with my grunt tube and this 8 pointer came swimming up the stream and got out not too far from him. He said he rushed the shot and missed. The rest is history. Needless to say, I didn't miss.
I am a terrible story teller due to my ability to remember anymore.
I forgot to say that as we were splitting up that morning I handed him my grunt tube and told him that he should use it and that I have had lots of success with it over the years. He told me he didn't know how to use it so I gave him a quick lesson and we split up to head to our spots. He tells me when we first met, after I shot the deer, that he had been grunting with my grunt call and the 8 point I shot came swimming across the creek right towards him. He said he had to adjust his position in the chair he was in to get a shot and the chair made a noise that spooked the buck. That's why he had rushed the shot. He firmly believes the buck came to him because he was calling with a grunt tube.
Needless to say, he went out the next day and bought a grunt tube.

Last edited by pluckit; 12-06-2013 at 07:54 AM.