HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - MT Bull of a lifetime (Update)
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 10:45 PM
flags
Giant Nontypical

That is a really, really good bull. Without having actual measurements of the length of the main beam it isn't possible to guess the actual score, but it will go at least 340. For an unguided public land bull, this one will be very hard to beat anywhere.

For what it is worth, I used to hang around a guy that was an official measurer for Boone and Crockett. He told me a couple quick ways to look at a 6x6 bull in the field to see if it would be close to making book. He said all the points should look about as big around at the base as the bull's eye is and that all the lower points need to be at least 18 inches long. It goes without saying that the points need to be symmetrical and can't be broken much, if it is missing the bull most likely won't make book due to deductions. The average big bull is about 14 inches from the eye to the tip of the nose so that makes an easy reference point to determine tine length. He said the major thing to look for is the "Y" formed by the 5th and 6th point. It that "Y" is as far between the points as the 4th point is long (it should be the longest point on the rack and is called the sword point) then the bull is either going to make the book or be really close as long as the main beams aren't too short. Main beams of 49-50 inches, which your bull looks to have, will do it.

Your bull is very, very good. If I was elk hunting and found that bull I'd be shooting as soon as I had a good shot. Well Done!

Last edited by flags; 11-30-2013 at 10:50 PM.