HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Something to think about...bigger bucks
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 06:46 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I come from a family of meat hunters. I really don't care how big a set of antlers are. All they are is a few inches of bone. I also believe the current trend of focusing only on big antlers does a serious disservice to hunting. Anti-hunters are always looking for ammo to use against us and hunting for big racks gives them something to use. It is hard to criticize a guy that hunts for meat, public surveys show this to be true. But "trophy hunting" is another story.

Feel free to disagree if you wish. But I'll take the deer that I have a shot at and not worry about the one I may never see.
I more or less am with you on this except for the anti-hunter argument - guys that hunt and manage trophies are also the types that would never waste the meat. Even if they don't eat it they will donate it to food shelves or charities. The other type of trophy seeker (I won't use the term hunter) is the poacher, and I think there is a pretty good distinction between them and the QDMA types - night and day. I am not a trophy hunter, but if that is what some want to do, fine by me. And at times I will go for the trophy as well.