HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newbie Camo Screw Up... Need Help Recovering please
Old 11-27-2013, 03:45 PM
UltimateSportsman
Spike

Default Newbie Camo Screw Up... Need Help Recovering please

Hello

It's my first year hunting and I bought a cheapie camo bib from Cabela's and IGI Gear jacket while they were running a sale. It's now late season and I've learned the errors of my ways. First the Cabela's bib is just horrible and it isn't waterproof or windproof at all. I thought the IGI Gear jacket water/wind proof but my friend who has the same jacket let me in on the fact that they don't stay dry for long in the rain (say after an hour). So naturally 3 months after I bought my first set of camo I'm in the market for more.

I was debating a couple of things one of the following:
1) Frogg Togg Suit (already purchased for $50)
2) ScentBlocker RainBlocker Jacket/Pants (already purchased for $100 for both)
3) Cabela's Silent Suede 4 in 1 Jacket (to be purchased for $130)
4) Cabela's MT050 7 in 1 Parka (to be purchased for $260)

I purchased the first two items already because I got them on sale and I can return them any time. I was thinking of just keeping one of them and then buying nicer stuff at the end of the season when the sales go on. However the jacket and bib I have now aren't very heavy for the late season but I think I can just layer instead of getting something that's too heavy. With layering I've learned that whatever it is needs to be a zip up so it can go over what I'm wearing while my harness is attached to a tree. The two jackets seem like a nice alternative since you can add layers as needed but they leave me without waterproof/windproof pants.

I was wondering why people had so much camo when I started by I'm quickly learning that it's hard to find something that is designed well without spending a fortune on Sitka/Kuiu or some other expensive brand. Because I'm new to hunting I have a ton of things to buy and I don't want to go crazy on camo and run my funds out for buying a new shotgun.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Sam