HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Trying to start a petetion to stop the late firearm season in counties hit by EHD.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:16 PM
fastetti
Nontypical Buck

I hate to say it but you are going to be too late for this year. To get it passed in time it would have to go through too many processes to be enacted. Plus, EHD was very spotty this year. I know in Fulton County, some farms got hit hard while others didn't get hit at all. We still have a lot of deer in our area and with the cold weather a lot of people were too lazy to get out so harvest numbers may be down. In the first season totals are too low, the DNR will blame the low count on that. With the rut still going strong in first season though, numbers will still be pretty good because a lot of bucks were chasing. I saw some big mature bucks going down in my area. With that happening the DNR might now think we were hit too bad. My taxidermist said that numbers aren't up to the last few years with the amount of bucks he does but its pretty close.

We didn't have a great season but by no means was it bad. My buddy dropped a nice 9 pointer and we took out a few does. I got the skunk, other that a coyote, and missed a nice buck due to a sapling getting in my way. I did have some low deer sightings the first two days but it was just the wrong stand. Sunday morning I braved the cold and saw 15 deer all within 60 yards of a new stand I was sitting. Unfortunately, I needed better shooting lanes to get off a clear shot. Oh well!

I can't get out second season but looking forward to our annual late season hunt to do some deer drives and hopefully get a doe for the freezer.