HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Effectiveness?? Mossberg 500 open sight
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by diddywhop
I'm curious as to know what the potential of a Mossberg 500 with open sights. I know it has a lot to do with the person shooting it, but have you seen people able to get in the kill zone at 100 yards with a shotgun open sighted? Is that too tall of an order?

If 100 yards is a bit out there open sighted, what would you guys think is more realistic?

Thanks!!
Sh*t yeah its realistic! I can take a hockey puck (set on end) out of your hand with my 1100 using Brenekke KOs, iron sights and an IC choke tube @ 100 yards. It shoots wonderfully. I was flat out shocked honestly because I had never heard anything but boo-hoo accuracy stories about rifle slugs in smooth bores. I tried it with just the bead sight at 50 and found it was a gracious plenty to kill a deer with... the sights doubled my range.

Beyond 100 yards the trajectory falls like a stone... The difference between 125 yards and 150 yards is steep enough to miss a deer entirely.... so I really keep it inside 100 yards so I don't have to guess. The vast majority of my shots are under 75 anyway, and no more than I deer hunt with a slug gun (maybe 5x a year) it does everything I need it to. No point in spending $800 on a slug gun when I don't use it that much (just my opinion).

If you are having accuracy issues with the cantilievered barrel....

1) Make sure you are shooting sabot slugs through a fully rifled barrel! The rifled slugs are for smooth bores.... don't confuse the two.

2) Make sure all your mounts are tight.

3) Make sure your barrel screw is tight.

4) Lastly, it might well be that the combo/bargain scope you got it goofy... but my bet would be that either #1 or #2 are your problem.