HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lessons learned...please feel free to add.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:02 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

#1) Bug dope and snake boots are your friend. Especially if you hunt FL river bottoms.

#2) Bring 2 pair of surgical gloves in a Ziploc bag. After gutting roll the gloves off and put in the bag. No messy hands to bother with.

#3) Don't be afraid to get into the thick stuff. Deer head there when pressured but people don't.

#4) Talk to the game warden when you see him/her. They have told me about hunting areas I never knew of.

#5) Hunt small game to learn where to hunt big game. Turkeys too! More time in the field is good.

#6) Carry a predator call. I've turned unsuccessful deer hunts into successful varmint hunts by calling.

#7) Carry 2 knives and 2 flashlights so you have a spare of each.

#8) Get a good compass and learn how to use it.

#9) Carry enough gear to comfortably spend the night if you need to. It doesn't need to be fancy, just functional.

#10) Carry a small first aid kit. Cuts happen when you least expect it. Make sure it has Aspirin for headaches.

#11) 50 ft of parachute cord is very, very handy. So is 2 or 3 trash bags.

#12) Hunt slow and you will kill more.

#13) Hunt something new. Treat yourself to elk or bear or pronghorn etc... Hunt new places too!

#14) Take a kid with you sometimes. If you don't have a kid, borrow one. Try to see the world through their eyes every once in a while.

#15) Enjoy your day afield.

Eventually we all come to our last day of hunting. Enjoy every one of them as if it was your last. Watch the birds, look at the sun, feel the wind against your face, listen to nature and in the end just be happy you got to go, even when you go home empty handed. It's called hunting. It isn't called shooting and killing.

Last edited by flags; 11-26-2013 at 06:11 AM.