HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Indiana hunter's death puts tree stand safety in spotlight
Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 PM
VAhuntr
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chazspot
This is true, however, should the stand be faulty for any reason then down you go. Also, it is easier to be mobile with a climber. I much prefer climbers myself for that reason. Nevertheless, in the context of safety, ladder stands are safer due to the fact you can use the safety harness system of being attached to a rope while getting up and down the latter stand.

Not to be rude but it sounds like you need to read the instruction manual/dvd provided with your climbing stand. You can climb up and climb down with a climber and stay attached to the tree. Most safety harnesses have a tree strap that wraps around the tree and you then hook your harness tether to the tree strap. You simply move the tree strap up or down the tree as you move and you stay attached from the time you start your climb, till the time you climb back down. This method has been described in every instruction manual of every climber I've ever owned from Summit, Lone Wolf, and API.

Here is a short youtube video on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sMr-nMHxPk

In addition to this, every tree stand safety harness I have used in the last several years has the tree strap that allows you to maintain connection to the tree included. The harnesses I have used include: Seat O The Pants, Muddy Safeguard(current harness), HSS, and the harnesses included with new treestands. These include harnesses from API, Summit, and Lone Wolf.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11-19-2013 at 08:24 PM.