HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What do i do when deer are constantly being push in neighboring property's
Old 11-15-2013, 07:46 AM
VA5326
Typical Buck

Don't lose faith, this is a good thing for you. Brother, get in early and out late. Generally, on a deer drive, Bigger/Wiser bucks will do one of three things and sometimes a combination of them all if pushed hard enough: 1. A big buck has the balls to sit tight unless you step on them 2. Circle back towards the drivers and sneak out in between the drivers and get behind the drivers and find an escape 3. Put their nose into the wind and make a gangbusters run for it.

Typically, bigger bucks will let the does be the "sacrificial lambs" so to speak. Big Bucks who have made it a couple of seasons know exactly what the heck is going on when it comes to deer drives. A lot of the times, a buck will let the does run and listen for the drivers and gun fire (or no gun fire) and then decide on which direction to go. If you're lucky and there's no gun fire, he could possibly follow the same route (as the does) being anywhere from seconds to 10 minutes behind the does. I've seen a few bucks do this in the woods before. Another possibility are land features which produce excellent escape routes. Like many things, big bucks will use them season after season. Ever seen an old wooden tree stand out in the woods? Some guy put that there years ago for a reason. Either the area held deer or that's where deer escape to when pushed for years in a row. For the most part, unless the terrain has changed, if i find an old stand in the middle of the woods, I normally will hang mine close by. Think about it, a guy back in the day just didn't lug all the lumber and hardware out in the woods for no reason.

If I could recommend some things to you I would start by putting up some "experimental stands" in areas in which you think would make a good escape route for a buck. Sit in a different one each time they make a drive(I can't emphasize enough about getting in earlier than the drivers). Also, if they start the drive near a road in which drivers typically do, a buck can and will get out between the drivers and escape behind the drivers and most of the time cross the road. Don' be afraid to hunt near a road as within the law permits. Hope this helps.