HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opening day Bull
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 05:14 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
One reason, for me at least, to carry out the hind leg bones, is it keeps the hind quarter in place. The bone makes it easier to tie the quarter onto the pack frame. The bone keeps the meat organized, so that when time comes to cut, and package, one knows where the meat came from, and what it is.

However, for a long long pack, the bone must be left behind.
I carry 6 game bags with me and a pack frame. A boned hind quarter with evidence of sex attached goes in one bag. So, figure 2 bags for the hinds. Neck meat, rib meat, flank, backstraps, loins, heart and liver go in another. So that makes 3 bags. Unless it is a really big elk, both boned out front legs go in a 4th bag. With 6 bags I can always go lighter per bag or have a spare if one gets torn.

I've never needed a bone to secure a bag to my pack frame. Enough parachute cord and you can secure an ocean liner. I've been in the Navy for 25 years and like any sailor, I can tie a knot that won't slip. Plus, I'm familiar enough with the muscle groups on an elk or a deer to tell the meat from the hinds from the meat on the fronts. But then, that's me.

Mind you, I'm not saying your way doesn't work for you, but personally, I ain't carrying a bone an inch if I can avoid it. Coyotes need to eat too. The bones and what little meat is attached it them are their share.

Last edited by flags; 11-12-2013 at 05:17 AM.