HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .270 for Elk
Thread: .270 for Elk
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 04:52 AM
Blackelk
Typical Buck

After 25 years of guiding elk hunters I can say one thing that matters over all. "You can't shoot around the edges". Shot placement is everything and all the rest is ballistics. My favorite two personal elk cartridges are 270 win and the 300 win mag. Those are my personal choices. And just this year we had two bull elk go down with 270 win's go down within 20 yards of being hit one shot in each bull. I've seen a ton of elk shot with almost every caliber out there. I'm not going to praise one caliber over the other, nor am I going to say this caliber is too light or that caliber too heavy.

Here's where things get serious. The man that can make a shot in almost any circumstance is going to be a successful elk hunter. The man that shoots a lot of ammo each year is probably going to be the man that makes those types of shots. You need to be able to shoot the vitals in most circumstances, whether using rests, prone, sitting or standing then that is your comfortable range and shooting situation. You should practice in all positions and not just off a bench. Not many benches out in the field. Everyone will wound an animal in a lifetime of hunting it happens. But it happens more with guys that buy a "elk rifle" and only shoot it enough to sight it in and bring it elk hunting. Know your rifle and your gear. I've shot elk with lots of calibers even a 41 mag at about 100 yards and it only has about 550 ft lbs at that range. "Shoot around the edges and you'll wound more animals than you'll kill".

Not trying to bust on anyone's idea of an elk cartridge it's just more important to be efficient with what ever you use while hunting. It's important to become a good shot first and foremost.