HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I got a decoy?
Thread: I got a decoy?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 03:45 PM
The Green Horn Hunter
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
Ummm... I just had a thought... Your not leaving the decoy out when your not there are you???

Mind you that I've never used a decoy, but have considered it, and done some study on the practice of using decoys for deer.

Leaving a decoy, or even scents out over night when your not there hunting over them is a big no no!!! I'm not trying to chew you out... Just correct a mistake if yer making one.

I'm not sure if your leaving the decoy out, but just got that impression as I read threw this thread again.
May I ask why?

If I bring back home with me I will leave human scent on it again. And this is privet property too and thank you for not griping me out.

By the way I found some good info.
Your Most Frequently Asked Questions About Hunting With Deer Decoys

Q: How far away from the stand should I put my deer decoy?Bucky Jr Deer Decoy
A: Place your deer decoy within your comfortable shooting range. If you’re confident in a 40-yard shot, place your deer decoy at 30 to 35 yards.

Q: How should I position my decoy when using it as a buck?
A: When a buck approaches a buck decoy, it normally does so head-on, so position the decoy where the buck’s path will take it right by the stand. Position the tail in the downward position and the ears back. Some hunters only use one antler to make the decoy less aggressive.

Q: What are some of the things people do wrong when using a deer decoy?
A: The most common mistakes are: contaminating it with human or unnatural odors, not practicing their own odor control, placing their deer decoys too far away, and placing their deer decoys where they can’t be easily seen.

Q: Which scent should I use with my deer decoy?
A: When setting your deer decoy as a buck, use buck urine and Code Blue Tarsal Gland Gel, but never apply directly to the decoy. Use a scent wick and hang it within feet of the decoy. When using the decoy as a doe, use the highest-quality estrous urine and estrous gel.

Q: Where should I put my deer decoy?
A: Decoys like Bucky Jr. should be positioned in an open area where they can be seen – open woods between feeding areas and bedding areas in the morning and at the edge of food plots or crop fields in the evening are two good starting places.

Q: Can I leave my Bucky Jr. in the field all night?
A: Your buck decoy can be left in the field overnight, but it should be removed from the stakes and laid on its side.

Q: Should I use Bucky Jr. as a buck or a doe?
A: In general, start the season off as a buck and try the doe when the peak nears, but a buck decoy can bring in a dominant buck anytime during the season.

Q: What is the best way to use two deer decoys at once?
A: Set one as a buck and the other a doe. Remove the legs from the doe decoy and prop it in the grass as if bedded. Position the buck decoy several feet behind her.

Q: Can I use my deer decoy during firearms season?
A: No. Carry-Lite’s deer decoys are only for use during archery seasons.

Q: Should I put my deer decoy together in the field or at home?
A: Bucky Jr. comes with a hunter-orange mesh carry bag that makes it easy to backpack to the field and set up there, but some hunters prefer to put it together at home or at the truck and carry it in. If a hunter puts it together then carries it in, he must use the hunter-orange bag draped over his deer decoy’s head to alert any o

Last edited by The Green Horn Hunter; 11-01-2013 at 03:48 PM.