HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Few ar questions
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 06:35 AM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

Robbed in the woods? Somehow I think you're going to find that highly unlikely in Colorado. I'm not certain of Colorado's laws, but you'd better make sure your 5.56 AR is legal for the game you're chasing first. Wyoming just made certain .22 centerfires legal this year and only for deer-sized and smaller game, not for elk or moose.

As far as accuracy goes, a good AR platform can be accurate, but it typically costs a lot more money to make it so than it does a bolt gun. I've competed with my .308 bolt gun against guys using .308 gas guns and the biggest difference tends to be the amount of coin invested.

If you're looking at gas piston guns versus traditional direct impingement, be aware that some makers simply slap something with an operating rod onto the upper and barrel to make it work. The recoil impulse is different (not more, just different), but what I've seen of the lower-end gas piston guns is some interesting wear inside the upper, and in some cases the BCG. It appears to me that with some of those systems, there may be some "tipping" of the BCG depending on the alignment/union of the op rod to the BCG which in turn may not be riding quite right inside the receiver. Just my opinion, I don't own one to strip one down regularly enough to keep track of what's going on inside. You'd probably have to shoot it a lot to wear it out. DI guns are dirty, and particularly so with junk ammo. Pick your poison. I'll stick with DI.