HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 670 yard Mule Deer
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Ridge Runner
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
It's simple. Nobody should be taking a really long shot, period, end of argument.

Notice that "long" is a relative term? There's to "long" for the weapon, be it a recurve, compound, shotgun, muzzleloader, rifle etc. and to "long" for the guy holding the weapon.

To you guys getting "close" at 200 yards, for me where I hunt that's as good as a country mile, the amount of places I can see 200 yards is almost nothing. In fact to find a gun range in this area with more than 125-150 yard range is pretty rare!

It's all relative. Nobody should shoot from "to far". Where that's defined by 1) Your skills and 2) the limits of your weapon.

Stay inside both of those and more power to you!

I'd love to learn long range shooting, I'd probably never need it in New England, but it would be fun to learn!
truer words were never spoken, setting distance limits for me, are up to me, and I set no ones limits but mine, I have a good grasp on what myself and my equipment are capable of. some folks just don't get it, I do not condone taking shot beyond a hunters ability, I will help them best I can, but it is up to each individual to know they're limitations.
and your right, long range shooting is a challenging and fun sport, but once your consistently putting a bullet on paper where it needs to be, if your doing it right you have several thousand dollars in equipment and expense, so why not put the ability to use in the hunting field. in 1981 I also thought shooting game at long range was a matter of luck, but I know better now, its the simpleist form of rocket science known to man, takes practice but its not that diffacult.
RR