HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What am I doing Wrong ??
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 05:30 AM
olsaltydog
Nontypical Buck

Few Ideas

1. Most states wildlife commissions will have a stock assessment paper that will give an idea of the deer count per square mile. This will give you an idea if you have a naturally low deer population or a high deer population. Some are broken up by county and such but read the info and see what the biologist have learned.

2. Get out a couple times with an experienced and trusted buddy. I have to admit i been hunting this being my fourth season solo and it has been rough. 0 deer so far solo but I know alot and have been refining what i know and seeing more deer and have gotten more opportunities since. Found out their is a difference in going out with my father as a kid and going out solo as an adult and applying what you know. For example one place i was hunting in the morning had a ton of sign the deer where there, scrapes, new rubs had it all. Father came out to take a look and first thing he said was this spot you should hunt in the evening not morning. Then showed me why, missed details. Not that i was wrong i would most likely see a deer eventually but would waste a lot of days waiting where as in the evening I would probably see more. To prove that point he sat there that evening and tagged a nice doe. This was 3 weeks ago. Old man is still teaching me a thing or two and i am glad for it.