HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team Edge. #6
Thread: Team Edge. #6
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 PM
ManofTheFall
Nontypical Buck

I went out yesterday morning with my buddy. I got into my stand but he got lost in the woods on the way to his stand. So, after making all kinds of racket he gave up and went back to the truck and went to sleep. For the next 15 minutes there was this deer that kept blowing for like every 20 seconds. I figured the hunt was pretty much ruined. I heard some walking around in the darkness but nothing I could see. Then, around 8:00 I see this deer coming my way. It was alone. The first thing I do is to look and see if it's a button buck or a doe. I looked and looked and could not see any buttons so it appeared to me to be a 1 1/2 year old doe. I drew back three separate times before I could finally get the shot off. Well, I hit high and the arrow must have hit the underside of the spine because even though it was a pass through the deer went down on the spot. I pulled out another arrow to finish it and just as I was releasing the arrow the deer turned and raised up and it just went under the skin at the left shoulder. So, I put a third shot into the deer and it finally died a few minutes later. I have never shot a deer three times with a bow up until I shot this deer. This was not my lucky day. Then, after I get down and got a little closer to the deer I saw it had real little buttons. Needless to say I wasn't very happy I just shot a button buck. This is usually not the way I go about my deer hunting and I hope you can all see past this unfortunate isolated incident. On the other hand I got my first one of the year down and these young deer are definitely the best eating ones. We also put 25 more points on the board for our team. Hopefully if I get off work early again I will be back at it Friday morning. Saturday morning I will be hunting one of my really good spots for the first time this season. Here is a picture. Good luck to all!!!!!
Attached Images