HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you attract deer?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

I have not used any commercial attractantsor cover scents in decades. No loose feed is used where I hunt. Food plots are. Only plain salt is put out during the season, though the Trophy Rock is legal because it is the same formula - NaCl. We do mix in Di-Cal during the off-season. Heck I can buy 150# of NaCl mixing salt for what 1 Trophy Rock sells for.

The only "attractants" that I have used, and I have for the past 25+ years, are a "drag rag" wet with urine that I have collected from deer that I have killed and "oily" tarsal glands taht I have removed from "rutted up" I bucks have killed. These seem to have worked somewhat , but certainly not anywhere near a sure thing as far as covering my walk-in or bringing bucks into range.

I ahve practically not luck with calls , but occasionally rattling has worked pretty well. Depending upon the time of the season.

I know .... there are a lot of guys that swear by this or that scent product, and the calls, and the cammo's, etc. But if the stuff was as good as the hype, we's all have a wall full of B & C's instead of mostly "Coon and Crickets".