HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team Edge. #6
Thread: Team Edge. #6
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 09:45 AM
ArtyJoe
Spike

Went out last night. I moved my stand to the edge of a 3 acre food plot planted in clover. I heard movement behind me about 15 minutes before dark. It was a bachelor group of 3 bucks. They were approaching the field and started entering it only 20 yards to the South of me.

The first one out was a buck we call "short bus". He isn't real bright and he has only 1 good antler. The other side is just a stub. He enters the field and travels right in front of me only 15 yards away. I pass on him.

The second deer was a standard 8 pointer. He entered the field very cautiously and traveled South, away from me.

The third deer came out and gave me a 30 yard quartering away shot. I decided to take this deer.

The arrow hit further back than I like so I backed out and decided to let him go until morning.

It was a one of those nights. I couldn't sleep, tossing and turning and replaying that shot in my head. All the practice, all the preparation for that shot, and I shoot to far back...but he was quartering away so I had hope.

This morning I wake up to pouring rain. I know there will be no blood trail but I owe it to the deer to give it everything I got to recover him.

I get to my stand at first light and replay the entire set of events. I know there is a deer trail in the corner of that field where he exited. I move in on the trail very slowly looking for blood, for an arrow, for anything. There is nothing.

Keep working my way down the trail another 60 yards and I catch a glimpse of White. There he is!!! A nice 8 point buck. He went maybe 100 yards.

What a rush of emotions, from being sick to your stomach to pure joy, all in less than a second.

I will post pics shortly.