HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What shotgun would you recommend for a female looking to turkey hunt?
Old 09-26-2013, 07:19 PM
NjHunter85
Fork Horn

im sure you have made your decision and most people agree on what to use. I would def say a 20guage pump is the best bet. I have a Mossberg 12 and Mossberg 20 guage and with the right choke tube and fiber optic sights on it they are killer for hunting turkey. Obv. semi-auto is a nice way to go, but personally I love the pump. For 2 reasons, one is because it has just been the most reliable thing ever since day one. And second reason I say pump over semi-auto is because depending on how you are and how you shoot, with a semi-auto you tend to make that first shot and if you need to make a second or 3rd shot you will just keep pulling the trigger without really sighting back in on the target. With the pump, you usually make the first shot then you have to pump the gun and actually get it back to the right position and sight back in which will make that second shot just as good as the first one. I know some people are different and using the semi-auto is perfect. Im just throwing out the idea in case you are a new turkey hunter or shooter. Using that pump is a great start.