HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Hunter in Central IL with Questions!
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Murdy
Typical Buck

Like Kid, I have never had a problem on Illinois public land (been hunting it 6 years, 30 days a year maybe).

Don't underestimate what it takes to get one out of the woods -- especially if you are hunting alone and trying to get away from the parking lots. Carts are great, and a wheel barrow will work in a pinch, depending on the terrain. If you use a cart, think about how you will get the deer onto the cart. Have a plan. Think about field dressing as well. I layout everything I need before I start, so I don't have to be digging around in my pockets or pack with bloody hands, including a plastic bag to put my dirty tools into and paper towel and/or hand wipes, to clean up with afterward. I use a knife, bone saw, and butt out tool (from HS) plus rubber gloves, but all you really need is a knife. And, know where your going to take it when you get it out of the woods, especially early season, when it can be hot.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Murdy; 09-17-2013 at 07:48 PM.