HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hang On Treestand (newby) Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 08:09 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Here's what I do. I will tighten the main strap (or chain) as tight as I can. Sometimes that can result in the platform being tilted upward. I always place a second strap, lower down on the "post" that connects the seat to the foot platform. This will pull the lock-on firmly against the tree.

I do leave my lock-on up during the season but not the off-season. For sure you need to inspect the straps carefully before using one. Squirrels and rats will often cut gnaw at these fabric straps, especially where you have been handling them. I suspect going after the salt from sweaty hands. I have straps and lift ropes laying at the base of the tree cut into pieces !!

If you have read any of my many posts about tree stand use, you have seen this before. Be dang sure when you are hunting from any tree stand ... ladder, climber, lock-on, home-made platform, whatever ... always wear a quality safety harness. These are not expensive especially when one considers the possibilities. Good ones can be had for well under $100.

Last edited by Mojotex; 08-31-2013 at 08:12 AM.