HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 168 gr bthp for deer?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 11:47 AM
buffybr
Typical Buck

Like others have posted, match bullets are designed for shooting paper, HOWEVER, whitetail deer are thin skinned, and are not hard to kill IF you put the bullet in the right place.

There is a huge difference between .22 caliber and .30 caliber Match bullets.

I have killed quiet a few mule deer and pronghorn antelope with Hornady 120 gr HPFB bullets from my .257 AI. I have made one shot kills on a variety of animals from Texas Blackbuck antelope to Montana bull elk with Barnes 168 gr Match grade TSX BT bullets from my .300 Weatherby.

The Hornady 168 gr BTHP Match bullets are my favorite practice bullets in my .300 Weatherby. There isn't a deer sized critter alive that I wouldn't hesitate to shoot with that bullet.

Wait for your deer to stand broadside and put your bullet right behind his shoulder and you'll be eating venison tenderloins that night.

Originally Posted by thelukai1100
Remember when The 30-40 krag used to be a good elk cartridge? now you need at least a 300 magnum.
The animals must be getting tougher.
I actually killed my first bull elk back in 1966 with a borrowed .30-40 Krag rifle. Now almost three dozen elk later, I hunt elk with my .300 Weatherby. I know that the animals haven't got any tougher, I just have always wanted a .300 Weatherby, and since I built this one a few years ago, it has become my favorite rifle.