HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Moving to Chicago, IL from SC
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 04:06 PM
fastetti
Nontypical Buck

Verdantis, I'll tell you like it is. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and after college I moved back into the city and have been living in a few areas in downtown Chicago for 11 years now. The politics in Chicago are horrible, we have a horrible Mayor, Governor and I'm not too fond of our Chief of Police.

That being said, there are a lot of jobs here and always ways to advance your career with so many companies, especially Fortune 500 companies. Also, the social life of Chicago is great, the women are far above average and from May to November, there is no greater city to live in. The summer festivals, sports and the lake front, it doesn't get much better for someone young and single. Trust me, I worked hard and played hard in my 20's.

A lot of people will say that the hunting isn't great around Chicago but that has to be expected living in the third biggest city in the country. There are some great places to hunt. Bird hunting, there are a few good spots. It is put and take hunting but for a $45 permit you can limit out with four pheasants if you have a good dog. I usually hunt without a dog and get a two bird permit. I have gotten my two birds many times hunting without a dog but also many days with just one bird. Its no South Dakota, but again, your close to a huge city. Within an hour drive from downtown you can hit these put and take spots.

Deer hunting does get a little interesting. The public land does get hit hard but with a bow you can get some good hunting. TG was somewhat right. I'd say 50% of bowhunters don't have a clue what they are doing. They find a trail and sit in a tree and thats it. 40% do have a clue what they are doing but aren't considered great hunters. There are 10% that know what they are doing and get shots at 130" bucks every year on land within an hour of Chicago. You just have to put in the work and think outside the box. You hear everyone say, "Go farther and deeper than everyone else" which is correct sometimes but I know guys that have killed bucks within 200 yards of parking lots at these heavily hunted areas. They just do their research and look at Topos, wind roses and such.

Good luck and if you need advice on anything with hunting spots or even the areas to live around Chicago, PM me and I'll give you my opinion. Good Luck!