HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on Barnes Triple Shock Projectiles on Big Game .
Old 06-22-2013, 10:52 PM
buffybr
Typical Buck

I started using Barnes TSX bullets back in 2005 when I booked a Cape Buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe. I built a .375 RUM for that hunt and worked up a load for it with 300 gr TSX bullets at 2830 fps. Those bullets worked great on everything that I shot with them from a 130 lb Bushbuck to a 1500+ lb Buffalo (my avatar pic). The only bullet that we recovered was the one from my Buffalo, and it was a perfect Barnes advertised mushroom.

I also took that .375 RUM to South Africa in 2007 for a plains game hunt. For that hunt I developed a load with 270 gr TSX bullets at 3040 fps. Those bullets also performed very well on a variety of plains game animals from a couple of 30 lb Steenboks to a 600 lb Kudu. Most of the shots were complete pass throughs, but I did recover one from the Kudu and it was also the classic Barnes mushroom after going almost full length of the bull from shoulder through the opposite hip.

Both the 270 gr and 300 gr TSX bullets shoot 3 shot moa groups from my Rem 700 .375 RUM.

In 2009 I finally built a rifle that I have been wanting for about 40 years, a .300 Weatherby. Its a Vanguard that I restocked in AA Fancy Walnut plus a few other modifications. Because I had good performance with TSX bullets in my .375 RUM, I decided to try them in my .300 Wby. Both 168 gr at 3290 fps and 180 gr at 3190 fps shoot 3 shot moa in my rifle.

In 2010 I used my .300 Wby with the 168 gr TSX loads on an Exotic hunt in West Texas. The 3 animals that I shot were almost instant one shot kills with all bullets were complete pass throughs with .30 caliber entrance holes and quarter size exit holes.

I also used that .300 Wby/168 gr TSX on a 5 point Montana bull elk that year. Again the 168 gr TSX bullet completely passed through the bull with a caliber size entrance hole and a quarter size exit, and the bull took three steps and fell dead.

Last summer while I was preparing for another South African hunt, I ran out of 168 gr TSX bullets, and I could only find 168 gr TTSX bullets. At 3250 fps, they shoot 3 shots touching at 100 yds.

On that hunt I shot 5 plains game animals from a Sable bull at 40-50 yds to a Klipspringer at 314 yds. Three of the bullets completely passed through the animals, and we recovered the other two. Both of those bullets opened to the classic Barnes mushroom, but one evidently hit a bone and broke one petal off.

Next March, my girlfriend will be going with me on a hunt in New Zealand. I will be hunting with my .300 Wby and my 168 gr TTSX handloads.