HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Im ignorant, UTV or ATV?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 AM
peakrut
Bartender

Well put! Honda's seem to run forever no matter how much you seem to beat them up.
Originally Posted by Mojotex
Trust me .... the "farm work" is best left to heavier duty equipment.

Regardless of the hype, the transmissions of ATV's and UTV's are extremely light duty compared to even the smallest of the "residential" farm tractors such as the typical 15-20 HP diesel models. The ATV/UTV transmissions simply will not take the strain heavy drags, "breaking ground" with even the smallest of the "food plot" plows and disking "acres".

If you can get a farm guy to break the ground, do so. Then maybe you could keep it marginally broken up using one of those light duty ATV disks.

As far as mowing using an ATV tyoe pull behind mower .... one that can manage 4 +/- acres year after year and hold up is going to run you about $3k. And they are a bugger to use for "yard mowing". The overall length of the ATV and mower will be in the 10' or so range, resulting in a wide turning radius. I'd think that you'd still need a walk behind mower for tighter areas. Might could get by with a weed-eater.

As far as dragging out a deer, any 4 wheeler or typical side-by-side in the 300-400 cc range can handle that.

If you are looking for a recommendation for an ATV/UTV to use primarily for hunting and piddling around, from what I have seen over the past 30 years or so of being around ATV's from back in the 3-wheeler days, the Honda products are dang hard to beat for ease of use and durability. A very close second would be the Polaris and Kubota products.