HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 06:43 PM
snapper1982
Banned

Originally Posted by bghunter777
Not to stir anymore controversy but isn't hevi shot 10% heavier than lead it would seem like 10% would give u an advantage but not what many claim have in your opinions 7s really changed from what was commonly though of as 35 yard pellets to 50-55 with only a 10 % increase in density. Logically you would think efficiency would increase 10 % or 3-5 yards but obviously there are other factors in play. Just seems like a big jump when at the root it is still only 10% denser
it is more than just the weight increase(btw hevi 13 is not actually 13g it is 12g they stopped making 13g a couple of years ago) the added hardness of the shot helps to minimize deformation of the pellets during the shot process therefore increasing pattern density. and adding to the increased effective distance. I know many people that have killed with lead 7s at 40 yards. so I have no doubt that hevi 7s will do it at 50 and I have read/heard guys killed at 60 or further. I have not patterned at that distance so I will not say that my setup will achieve a kill at 60 but I do not doubt 7s will put him down as long as your set up has the pattern.