HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Musk Ox Hunt Booked
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 PM
AK Jeff
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Chopayne
Well I believe I read to hunt in Alaska alone, you need to have lived there as a resident for a year, otherwise you need to take a guide.

Hmm you are making me rethink, my options. Wondering how much more Canada would end up being with customs taxes and all those little things. I was also thinking that Alaska was awash with animals running around and deer chasing little bunnies but I guess that's not the case.
Not true. Non-resident U.S. citizens are required to have guides or relative residents within the second degree of kindred in order to hunt Dall sheep, mountain goats, or brown/grizzly bears. Non-resident aliens are required to hire guides to hunt any big game species in Alaska. Non-resident U.S. citizens can hunt moose, caribou, musk ox, black bear, elk, deer, wolf, and bison unguided in Alaska.

In terms of musk ox specifically then you're probably much better off looking at Canada. All ox hunts (with the exception of registration and Tier 2) in Alaska are by permit drawing. You don't need to draw an ox tag to go hunting in Nunavut, Canada. For other species you can almost certainly figure out a DIY hunt in Alaska that would be cheaper than a guided hunt in Canada.