HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm mag or 30-06
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM
jfarleyx
Spike

Hello NSpeziale,

Buying a new gun because you "want one" is always a good reason. It's been the reason for all of mine!

I had this same dilemma when I bought my first new hunting rifle many years ago and I chose to go with a 30-06. At that time, all of my family and friends used a 30-06, so that's where I received most of the advice regarding what caliber I should go with for a deer/elk/antilope/black bears. Due to it's popularity and the fact that it's been around for over 100 years, ammo is plentiful and easy to find. 30-06 ammo is a little cheaper than 7 mm mag and you can get heavier bullets, up to 220 gr, vs 175 with 7mm mag. Lastly, if this matters to you, a 30 cal bullet can punch a slightly bigger hole.

The 7mm has been around for a little over 50 years, so it's established a firm foothold in the market, too. Ammo for the 7 mm is generally a little more expensive, so that's something to consider. The 7mm does shoot a little faster and flatter than a 30-06, especially with bullets 165 gr or less. Due to it's velocity, holdover can be less with a 7 mm mag than a 30-06. Many people think the 7 mm mag is a great all-around rifle cartridge. Check out the following Chuck Hawks articles on the 7mm mag for more info to help you with this decision:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/7mmRemMag.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/all_around_cartridges.htm

Personally, I liked the idea of a faster bullet with a lot of energy that resulted in less holdover at longer distances. I don't shoot at animals further than 350 yards, but that's mostly because of my own limitations, not the caliber or rifle. However, I enjoy trying to punch paper and distances further than that.

All of that being said, when I recently got the chance to have a custom rifle built, I decided to go with a 7 mm mag, largely because I already had a 30-06 and I liked the ballistics of the 7mm mag. I haven't received the rifle yet, so I can't comment on how it shoots. I hope to have it in a few months.

There are several other guys on this forum with much more knowledge than me on this topic. I'm sure they'll chime in and help you with this decision.

I think either caliber would make a great hunting rifle. If you're interested in a magnum, you should take a look at a 300 WSM. It has some advantages worth investigating.

Good Luck!

Last edited by jfarleyx; 04-03-2013 at 07:43 PM.