HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Call to let other hunters know you are there?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 AM
superstrutter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Charlie P
Some of the worst calling I have ever heard was from real birds. I'd like to know how you do it, seriously. Been hunting birds for along time and have been fooled both ways thinking a guy was a real bird and a real bird was a guy moving in on me.

Not saying it happens a lot some most of the time it's easy to figure out.But I was with my son one morning and was laughing with him about how bad this guys calling was and how he shouldn't be stalking in on me like he was. Getting ready to stand up and yell to him when all the sudden here comes the hen that was making all the noise.
There is not really any method in distinguishing the two. I can just tell by the pitch and cadence. Sometimes it's simple to distinguish the two. Of course hunting on private land I don't normally run into this problem. I have also heard some crazy sounds made by real hens, but I knew they were real. There was one that almost fooled me. At first I thought there is no way this is a real hen. Then I thought there is no way this is a hunter. It just sounded too strange. I stayed put and sure enough it was a real hen.