HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Call to let other hunters know you are there?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 AM
bald9eagle
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Most hunters will figure out a bird is being worked, a majority of those don't care, I had to give up hunting public land in va, because it seemed that every week while hunting, someone would either cut me off or shoot a bird in front of me.
Even on a couple occasions I would have guys walk past me while working a bird, make eye contact and set up in front of me.
When the day came that somewhere close by as a gobble came into view, a shot rang out, the brush beside me was riddled with shot and dirt flew in my face, I never went back.
RR
When he walked past he might have received a good 'ol fashioned cussin'. I KNOW when someone shot that close that I would have lost ALL my religion and told them in no uncertain terms my true feelings.

As for me I give three LOUD distinct yelps. I change the cadence and make sure that there is no doubt.

I have unknowingly set up on birds that another hunter was on. I didn't realize that I had gotten as close as I did until I could hear them calling. Terrible part is I did it twice to the same hunter.

The first time was all on me. I was not familiar with the territory and approached the bird from a different direction. I didn't realize how close it put me to the other hunter. The second time I had gotten in earlier and did not see a truck parked at the first road. I hunted another bird and ended up back on the bird from the first trip. The other guy had come in after me but didn't know I was there. He was already working the bird and I ended up within about 50 yards of the guy. When I realized it I stopped calling and waited for my chance to slip back out. Before I did though I gave him a "heads up" yelp, a call that wouldn't bump the bird but would also say "My bad!". Anyone that has turkey hunted enough knows the difference.