HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Hunting Newby, Help!!
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 06:02 AM
VTBoneCollector
Fork Horn

It all comes down to how you want to hunt them. Do you want the thrill of calling them in or do you just want to put a tag on a spur? If the second is what you want then roost the turkeys the night before. Pay close attention to where the birds fly up or walk into the woods. 9 times out of 10, that exact spot is where they will fly down or come out of the woods. My father and I pulled a double off last spring on 2 gobblers doing this. They roosted on the edge of a swamp. We got there an hour before daybreak. We didn't do any calling or set any decoys out. The birds pitched down and strutted over the nob, right in front of us and it was game over. We shot them in the same spot they flew up from the night before. I recommend that you get a turkey lounge for comfort from Cabela's. The comfort is worth the money. Once those birds start to wake up, you can't move. So the turkey lounge or a blind is recommended. Don't worry about brushing in the blind. I've sat in the middle of a corn field in a blind with decoys out and had them come right in. Although I would try setting up on the edges. Good luck and hunt hard and have the "Never say die" attitude.