HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First hunting gun. Not sure what to do.
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 12:32 PM
NebBuckHunter
Fork Horn

If you can hunt deer with a rifle, I would suggest doing so. It greatly increases your range and accuracy. Plus, there are plenty of entry level rifles out there that are decent for the money. I'm thinking the savage axis package for around $400. Probably in a 30-06 for your first deer gun. Not many of us started with the $1500 weatherby 257 magnum Mark V as our first guns. YOu always have time to save up for bigger/better/more diverse guns later one, but a good entry level gun will get ou started. Where I hunt, we are allowed rifles, so rifles are the only thing I hunt big game with (besides my bow).

I admit that I am not as enthusiastic about upland, turkey, and waterfowl hunting. But in my experience, there isn't a whole lot of different between a $1200 Benelli and a $200 entry level shotgun in term of accuracy and effectiveness. Yes, I own a $1000 beretta over under (skeet barrels), but my shotgun of choice typically is my $180 mossberg pump maverick 88 with an ugly black synthetic stock. Killed plenty of birds with it, and have never had a complaint witH it. I don't worry about getting a scratch on a fancy wooden stock, and I can throw it in the truck and go.

Now if you can ONLY use shotgun where you hunt, maybe it would be worth it to invest in a slightly better shotgun, maybe a semi auto with 3 1/2" shell capabilities. And possibly a second rifles barrel for deer hunting.

Shopping around is the best part. Go play with guns at the store. Look on gun broker and davidsons on-line. They can have some great deals.

(Warning, now is about the worst time to be purchasing any guns. The demand is high, thus the price is high. Also availability is at the worst I've ever seen on firearms and ammo). My local cabelas is filling their gun cases that used to hold expensive handguns and rifles, with entry level ruger American rifles just to put something in the case so they don't look as empty. The only 9mm pistols they have are Hi-points).

Maybe do your research now, and wait a few months before taking the plunge to avoid getting gouged on price. Maybe don't plan to hunt this fall but instead use this year to build your collection of gear (be prepared if you purchase a rifle, to spend as much on your scope as you do your rifle.), take a hunter safety course, set up trail cameras, and maybe tag a long with a more experienced hunter to have them show you the ropes. Then plan on hunting next year. The gun isn't the last step before going out. Gaining the knowledge and tools (binoculars, warm clothes-preferably a variety and in layers to hunt various conditions, a good hunting knife, blaze orange if required, gloves, hats, boots, etc)

Hunting is a blast. For me it isn't even about killing any more. It's about getting out there in nature and observing animals and nature. At imes I wonder why I spend so much on firearms, archery, and equipment when I could get about the same amount of enjoyment from a camera and my trail cams.

This is a great place to ask questions.

Welcome