HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How Do I Remove The Rust From The Bore?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 10:15 AM
rodwha
Fork Horn

Default How Do I Remove The Rust From The Bore?

I finally got to shoot my Deerstalker the other day. I used RS until I ran out then switched to P. I swabbed with a wet patch (both sides) followed by an alcohol patch (both sides) every 3-5 rounds and when I was done and moved on to the pistol range.

I left it over night as it was a long day thinking it would be OK. Wrong.

I scrubbed on that thing for hours with my copper/brass brush with dish soap. I also had tried Windex with vinegar as was suggested to me. Finally rubbed it all down with WD 40 and let it sit again.

Today I rinsed it with alcohol and went to scrubbing it with soap again, and there wasn't any black crud anymore. I thought maybe I had cleaned it out finally. But running a patch shows what looks like a rusty brown color. I got most of it as it's very light and only shows every once in a while.

I'm not sure if it's flash rust or if the bore is rusted. How would I know without a bore light?

I noticed that my brush doesn't feel tight like it did today, and the last inch or so is smooshed. Is the "chamber" area a smaller diameter?

It's wiped down with WD 40 again...