HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rage Broadhead tested at 400 Feet Per Second
Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 PM
STRYKERMAX4
Spike

Originally Posted by TheHardWoods913
These broadheads are great! But I am hearing more and more about possible fails with them and I am becoming skepticle. i use the 2 blades, so far so good with deer until this past october in VT.
I darted my first black bear at 9 yards after he climbed up my ladder stand and looked me right in my eyes! It was a complete pass through but not much blood on my arrow, but lots of hair in the broadhead. I waited in stand for an hour and a half before getting down and checking my arrow and for blood. Then began to track the bear. Blood trail was amazing!!!! After about 150 yards and no bear I decided to back out for the night and search again the next day. A old timer and one hell of a hunter once told me when in doubt back out and its always something that sticks in my head.
Long story short I never recovered the bear and followed a awesome bloodtrail for about 2 and half miles (guesstimate). I feel it could have been cause of poor shot placement but still feel extremely confident where I put my arrow. Given the angle he was at at 9 yards I put it a little low about 3 inches (using my 20 pin at 10 yards i shoot 3 inches high) and he was quartering away from be so put it about 2 inches back from where I would normally put it. Intending for it to exit the opposite shoulder after tearing through the boiler room. I started to think that possibly the broadhead deployed open upon flight but I really dont know. I do not use the shock collars they come with just the black o-rings.
Are you using the shock collars in this test? At the time I was using an older slower bow I have had for a few years 63lbs @ 27", but since then I have bought a Mathews Heli-m. I also heard with the faster bows out today a havier arrow is better to use with these broadheads, true?
Hello they did not offer the shock collars when i made this test
i have used them before but dont perfer them
i think your arrow may have hit where you wanted but at the very instance of impact, the bear could have moved and caused the arrow to take a different angle through the bear
2.5 miles is way to far for a animal to travel if it was a double lung shot, a single lung hit animal can live for hours and travel very far if pushed, after 30 deer with Rages i now use NAP SPITFIRE EDGE 1.75" CUT , the blood trails are better and they shoot just as accurate Good luck