HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shopping for a 9mm pocket pistol . . .
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 AM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dig4gold
So.............I'm leaning towards 9mm, but would consider 40 S&W also. Primarily I'm looking for small, light, and not a mortgage payment.
As far as handling . . . I regularly shoot my .45 colt Redhawk one handed with +P ammo. I'm not crazy about it . . . but I can manage the recoil.
When you say "small and light," exactly how small are you talking. Are you looking for CCW or just carrying it in a belt holster? If you're looking for CCW, the method you anticipate carrying it will sometimes dictate which gun and even which caliber.

If I carry CCW in a front pocket in my slacks, I carry a Walther PPS in .380. They are very accurate guns out to 10 yards and function flawlessly.

If I carry in a gun bag worn around my waste, I can pretty much carry anything and usually have a Glock in .40 or .45. I haven't carried CCW with an inside the belt holster yet but would think a slimmer pistol (probably a semi-auto) would be the only reasonably fitting pistol for such a holster. Nowadays, I often carry a Glock 30SF in .45 caliber in a regular (outside the) belt holster with a shirt or jacket tucked over it. FWIW, this is probably the quickest drawing concealed holster setup (draw and fire 3 rounds in 2 seconds with practice).

I switched from 9mm to 40 S&W but previously carried a 9mm for a few years. 9mm's will get the job done but you get a little more terminal ballistics with a 40S&W. In general, 9mm pistols are a little narrower than 40's. If you go with a Glock, they are both the same width.

Hopefully this provides a little help or food for thought. Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy.