HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 18 Point non typical
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 AM
fastetti
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WestVirginiaBrent
High fence is high fence is high fence concerning the subject at hand, and it's not for me, whether it be 10 acres or 1200 acres.

Concerning the deer, congratulations, he's a hell of buck, and as long as you are happy and proud, that's all that matters. With that neck and mass I would certainly get him mounted in a semi-sneak position to highlight both.
I have to agree here. It is a great buck, that is for sure and if he is proud that is all that matters.

This is though a high fenced operation. While most free roam land has a carry capacity of deer with a limit of mature bucks, this type of hunt does not. The land will hold as many mature bucks as they can put in there. Someone could say they've been trying to kill a deer for a few years, but how many other bucks are they going for as well? On the land I hunt we get about 5 shooters on camera over 130" a year on 300 acres. On high fenced land there are as many buck on there as the fence can hold in. They can have a 150" deer for every five acres if they wanted too. They are growing bucks then "releasing" them into the high fenced area. We don't know how many bucks they have to know how sporting it was. If there is one buck on 1200 acres, its a pretty good hunt. If they have 100 bucks over 130" on this land, it really isn't hunting, more like killing. Plus, I am a big opponent to any place that says, "Sorry, you can't kill that deer, it's not in your price range"

All said and done, if he is proud of his deer, that is all that matters. It's just not my type of hunting.