HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 100% Newbie
Thread: 100% Newbie
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Jenks
Nontypical Buck

Being fairly new to the game, I would not spend a lot on my first shotgun, I would get a "beater". You can usually get a good used Savage pump for under $200. It will kill anything that the $1,000 gun will and that leaves money for a decent rifle. If you plan to go duck hunting, then get a newer shotgun that will shoot steel shot without ruining the barrel. I think a pump will serve you well until you get used to firearms. Starting with an automatic is like starting to drive with a Corvette, too much to learn at one time. If you can find a good Remington 870 for a reasonable price they are about as good as you can get in a pump. I was raised poor and I do not like to take an expensive gun to the woods, I am afraid that I will scratch it. My nice shotgun stays in the rack and I hunt with a Savage 67H, it cost me $150 in great shape. Hunting does not have to be an expensive sport, it is more about the hunt. I would get a 12 gauge, if it kicks too much, put a Limbsaver on it and all will be well.