HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help
Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 PM
timmyzimmy
Fork Horn

First off, Congrats! Good story and I'm glad you waited even though you probably didnt need too(4 hrs for me is min on a unknown hit, 8 hrs min if I think it's a bad hit) That really would increase everyone's recovery rate if they just wait... Especially in late season. It isn't going to hurt the meat.

Secondly, I'm not a fan a of over the top broadheads either, on a crossbow. A guy on my property lost a 8 pt with that setup this year. Although I have harvested some with the compound bow, they dont seem reliable to me.

Finally, I think the broadhead DID a great job. Even if you didn't have a great blood trail. It sounds like it didn't run 100 yds (meaning a quick kill). I'm guessing , the entry hole was probably middle of the boiler room or higher. This can be a great kill shot BUT the blood trail for the first 75 yds could suck, the cavity has to fill up with blood but before it pours out the entry and exit wounds. Don't believe all the hype of "someone dumped a can of red paint". That isn't the norm. Maybe 2 out of my 16 were like that. My last two, both were heart shots and neither had a great blood trail (I actually shoot for the heart now). No two deals ever seem the same. And tracking has become more and more fun.

Anyway, great buck and good luck next year.