HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Still Hunting Report & Questions
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 07:27 AM
huntingkidPA
Typical Buck

1. It depends. When a deer comes in close when im still hunting it depends what cover i'm in. If its waist high weeds i sink down to only when my head is showing, and wait till there in range. I like being infront of a tree for cover instead of being behind one. It allows you to shoot and if it covers your body and your camo matches it its hard for them to get your silhouette.

2. I try not to when one is in range unless im stopping it for a shot, they will find you easily if your on the ground grunting or using any calls

3. I sometimes put a rag dipped in tinks tied to my boots when walking, hasnt hurt my chances or gave me any.

4. depends on weather/winds/ noise. That is a good rate for all weather really. If its windy and raining i will move faster because i can be more quiet. But its not usually the noise that alerts the deer, its you moving.

5. Be ready for anything to pop out, thick cover can be hard. You wont be able to see them before they see you most of the time. Keep your eyes peeled.

6. yes

7. It depends, if your trying to make up time and get to a spot where you know deer hold, and you know nothing really hangs out where your going through at the moment its a good idea to pick up the speed. But even if the leaves are soaked and you make no sound you still have to move reasonably quiet. They see your silhouette moving before they will hear you most of the time.