HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First time still hunting
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 06:29 AM
deerdust
Super Moderator

As has already been said, a 30/30 lever action is a great little brush gun. It has been tried and proven for many years, as such. Swamps are a fine place to hunt, as the big boys will likely be hanging out there. I carry mine with my trigger hand on the stock, and the barrel cradled in the elbow of my other arm. This allows me to easily get it up to sight on my target. Scoped is usually best, with a low power scope, set to its lowest setting. This allows you to quickly get on target by just getting it in the cross hairs, and not having to worry about getting iron sights lined up. You could move even slower, when you are in the thick swamp cover you expect your quarry to be in. Take just one or two steps, always looking to where your next step will be. Stop, carefully looking in all directions. Carefully scrutinize anything that may look out of ordinary. Often the big boy will be watching you and see you long before you have any idea he is there. Always play the wind to your advantage and be as scent free as possible.

Here is an article that may help you some: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2011/0..._gf_aa116503a/