HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First time still hunting
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 AM
Cypress32
Spike

Default First time still hunting

So was 7:30 and hadnt seen or heard anything and was figured I wasnt because shot the day before and tracked for 3-4 hours all through that area looking for a deer I missed. So I decided Id give still hunting a try. We had a frost this morning so I had on my ski mask and gloves and it was starting to thaw so the wet ground would muffle my sounds. Also had the wind in my favor.

So I set off down an old logging road that runs through my swamp. Mix of cypress and oaks on both sides with some water in there. When I was looking for blood yesterday I saw tracks all around the water and tons of bedding areas so figured I would at least see something.

Didnt know anything about still hunting but did google it a few days ago and followed the tips they provided like only take 2-3 steps at a time then stop and look around and listen. Only thing is they didnt mention what type of gun to use or how to carry it. Do I keep it slung over my shoulder or do I hold it in hand ready to take aim if I see something. I made the mistake doing the later. It seems a wooden Browning lever action .270 with the largest scope probably ever made isnt the best gun to use because it weights close to 10 pounds.

I got about 300 yards in and heard a blow but no running. I have good hearing and immediately looked where it came from and saw a big gray face looking back at me. Now I began to realize the error in carrying that heavy ass gun. Had been about an hour of creeping around while holding that gun and I went to bring the gun up and could hardly hold the thing steady. Also doesnt have the best scope in the world on it as I took the good one off and put it on my .243. I scanned for the deer I saw with my eyes but couldnt find him with the scope. My arms were so tired from carrying that thing I had to lower the weapon and as soon I did a massive deer bolted across the road in front of me.

So first question. How do you carry your weapon when still hunting? And second question please recommend me something that doesnt weigh damn near 10 pounds? Also is a swamp a bad place to still hunt? Its really the only place I have on my land that you could still hunt and while its very quiet as you move around due to the wet ground its hard as hell to spot deer through all the trees. It was kind of exciting to actually get that close to a nice deer though before spooking him. If I had my 12 gauge with buckshot would have been an easy kill.

Last edited by Cypress32; 11-30-2012 at 05:34 AM.